Monday, September 27, 2010

Class Performance Thus Far

We were just asked to think about how we have done in class so far and if we are satisfied with our performance. I honestly am not all that sure how I am doing in class. That seems like an easy way out of putting real thought into this, but I am actually serious. Since we don't have very many concrete grades, I have no idea what I am going to get in this class or how well I am doing. I don't have that many blog posts to this point, but I think that is because I put a lot of thought into each post. The last one I worked on for several days before actually posting it. In that regard, I think there should be some sort of point system for quality of posts rather than just quantity. If I had wanted to write 20 blog posts that I didn't put much thought into just to get all the possible points, I easily could have. But, for me, these posts should be about more than just doing as many as you can, they should be about putting real thought into the things that we discuss and read in class. Because of this it is a little bit frustrating to me that the point system is based on number of posts rather than how much deep unique thought has gone into each post. I suppose there wouldn't really be a very concrete way of measuring this, but still I think the quality of posts should hold some value when it comes to our grade in this class. I think I talk a good amount in class and make comments that contribute to the conversation, so in that sense I know that I am doing well. It's just the whole point system regarding the blogs that I am a bit worried about. Oh well, I guess from this point on I'll just have to make a point to post more, even if the thought isn't fully developed yet. As a writer though, I admit that I do have a bit of trouble doing this. I don't exactly enjoy the idea of publishing something that doesn't really mean anything or just to get a few extra points in a class, but I think I'll have to get over my perfectionism when it comes to writing and just start posting more.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    You have a good point about the quality vs. quantity issue. The quality of the posts is a big part of the grade in the blog post reflection paper. You get to show me there how much you learned in two of your posting efforts.
    But I also encourage you to think about the kind of writing and purpose of the writing in a blog post. It is intended to be a less formal kind of writing, a place to experiment and make connections. You are not being graded on each individual blog post because the purpose here is to give you a place to experiment, to take chances, to write your way into learning something, rather than always writing as a way to show what you already know. The idea is to write more because: writers write. The more you write, the better you get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely get that it is just a chance to sort out my thoughts on particular things, I'm just saying that because I don't like to write things that I haven't thought out enough or that aren't fully develop it translates into me not having as many posts but having posts that I have put a lot of thought into. Regardless I realize that I need to write more, it will just take a little bit of effort to get myself to speed up my thinking a bit more.

    ReplyDelete