Friday, December 3, 2010

Dr. Essid's Visit to Class

When Dr. Essid visited our class on Wednesday I have to admit I got very excited about the prospect of being a writing consultant. Finally! All our hard work has paid off (or will pay off). I can't believe the semester is over already and when we get back to school we will officially be writing consultants! I am really excited, but also a little nervous. It seems scary that students will soon be trusting me with reading their writing and helping them to improve it. Though our class has prepared us well, I still feel a little nervous about it. I think that it might be more frustrating that we have yet realized to be a writing consultant. Though we will be able to help a lot of students and that will be very rewarding, we also have to be prepared for the disappointment of not being able to help everyone. We will all have some hopeless cases and we will all have difficult consultations. We have all we need to be prepared for those moments though and I feel confident that everyone in our class will handle the difficult situations with grace and maturity. Some of Dr. Essid's stories freaked me out a little bit, like the one about the teacher who brought a student to tears. It occurred to me that this job is not merely about being a good writer or helping other people with their writing, it is about learning how to handle people, which is a very useful life skill. We need to do our best to communicate with not just the student but also the teacher and Dr. Essid. This seems like a pretty big task, but I am confident that we all can do it and I can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment