Monday, November 29, 2010

Boys and Girls Club Visit 3

We had our third and final visit to the boys and girls club last Monday and I can't say that it went quite as well as the second visit. We got there and ending up sitting around for a while because none of the kids were there and when the boy that I have been working with finally got there it was around 4:30 leaving us only a half hour to get some work done. Last time I had asked him to bring his sheet with the answers to the interview on it and upon seeing him last Monday he immediately informed me that he lost that entire sheet along with all of his answers. I don't know if it is just me, but I feel like this kids aren't taking this project very seriously and don't really care about it all that much. I really liked the kid I was working with and while we worked together he always tried hard but it seemed like outside of our meetings he really didn't do any work on the project or even think about it at all. We still had what we wrote from last time on a flash drive so we downloaded that and tried to make it a little longer, since at this point it was only a half a page. We managed to make it about another quarter of a page but then I really couldn't squeeze any more out of him. We decided to start the recording, which he seemed excited about. He did pretty well on his first try and I noticed that he didn't read directly from the script but instead improvised some of it, which I thought was pretty impressive. All I ever managed to do was read directly from whatever I had written. But , this improv approach created a bit of a problem because he ended up repeating himself and jumbling the order of it a bit. Nonetheless, I was happy that was trying and seemed interested. Overall, I'm happy I could help him at least a little bit, but I wish that the kids seemed a little more interested in the project and I'm not entirely sure if we accomplished that much. I hope the end of the project goes a little bit better than the beginning has and the kids start to get some enthusiasm about what they are doing, otherwise I am a little worried about how the stories will turn out.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way, our student actually told us that she was no longer interested.

    It can sometimes be very difficult to get young kids to do something they don't have a passion for...

    I also hope they gain encouragement and see it through to the end. I think they'll be pleased with their product.

    ReplyDelete